Service Operations is transforming. We are in the process of expanding our Customer Experience Operational Command Centre across two sites, Telford and Newcastle, to enable us to effectively monitor the experience of customers using our IT services; and provide responsive action in the event of an IT failure through use of monitoring tools and use of industry standard incident, problem and change management processes.
The Major Incident Manager will run the major incident management process to undertake service restoration of major incidents occurring within HMRC. They will drive the process to ensure that service is restored as quickly as possible, minimising the adverse impact on business operations, and ensuring that the best possible levels of service quality and availability are maintained.
They will be responsible for assessing situations, making appropriate interventions, directing and facilitating resolution activity. Ensuring appropriate escalation, at their discretion during an incident, within Service Operations, Delivery Groups, suppliers and other members of the IT community.
Duties may include, but will not be limited to:
• Manage major incidents through engagement with Delivery Groups, suppliers and customers to ensure quick resolution to minimise the impact on customers & service, being accountable for the investigation, diagnosis and resolution;
• Ensure that progress on major incidents is continually assessed, making appropriate interventions, directing and facilitating resolution activity. Ensuring appropriate escalation within Service Delivery, resolution teams and service management at
their discretion during an incident;
• Manage and communicate major incidents to nominated business managers, users and senior stakeholders using the excellent working relationships they have built and maintained across HMRC;
• Manage escalations and complaints by driving Delivery Groups and suppliers to resolve incidents and underlying problems to improve the IT services they provide, and maintain a central view of these issues;
• Provide briefings and reports on operational IT issues impacting on key business processes;
• Collaborate with other Service Management teams to ensure that events, alerts and changes are defined & understood to enable faster response to incidents;
• Work as part of the Major Incident Management team to ensure that the performance of the team achieves the defined performance targets and KPIs;
• Ensure that Service Delivery teams meet SLAs; fostering open communications and ensuring the relationship is professional and properly regulated;
• Quickly understand customer issues from an IT perspective, draw logical conclusions, make sensible suggestions that meet both HMRC's strategic direction and customers' needs and negotiate with suppliers to facilitate change.
The Major Incident Manager will work as part of the 24x7 Major Incident Management team. The role of this team is to provide professional 24x7 Major Incident and Service Level management across all business platforms & 3rd party suppliers. The candidate will be expected to have deep knowledge of delivering IT services within the ITIL v3 framework and have previous experience working in an Major Incident Management role.
• Qualification in ITIL V3
• Has an excellent understanding of service management within a diverse/large organisation and relevant experience in IT Operational Management
• Experience managing major incidents with demonstrable understanding of both business and service impact in a large organisation
• Experience of influencing skills in driving compliance and application of standards across a diverse, multi-sourced supplier landscape across a large IT function
• Track record of delivering customer satisfaction
• Good collaboration skills as a member of a large leadership team
• Proven commitment to IT Service Management best practices, especially Problem Management and Incident Management
• Able to communicate effectively (written and spoken)
This post is full time and will form part of a team that provides 24/7 cover on a shift basis, which consists of the following times:
Week 1: Mon/Tue & Fri/Sat/Sun ~ Hours: 07:00-19:00
Week 2: Wed/Thur ~ Hours: 07:00-19:00
Week 3: Mon/Tue & Fri/Sat/Sun ~ 19:00-07:00
Week 4: Wed/Thur ~ 19:00-07:00
The Major Incident Manager vacancy also attracts a 15% shift allowance.
ITIL Foundation V3
ITIL Service Operations.
The required security level is SC cleared. The candidate will already hold this or be prepared to successfully complete the security clearance process.